Wednesday, July 14, 2010

WARNING: Dumbassery is closer than it appears.

It has been brought to my attention as of very late that I am oversensitive. This comes as a shock to me, because I happen to have a pretty raunchy sense of humor. I'm just constantly taken aback by the consistent lack of tact people present on their public websites like facebook and twitter.

Here are a list of things that I believe are not, and never will be funny.
-The Holocaust
-Rape
-Insinuating that people should be murdered/tortured
-Gay jokes
-Sexual and physical abuse
-Terrorism
-Racial slurs

Lately I've noticed a lot of off-color 'jokes' posted by individuals that seem to lack the common sense to realize not only are they being incredibly inappropriate, disrespectful and offensive-but NOTHING on the internet is private. You can take the high road and admit that you've said something without thinking, or you can play the 'It's my site, I can do what I want' card. But in fact, no one's facebook is theirs. Facebook owns your ass. Mark Zuckerberg and his minions have ownership of every little thing you post. So you can try to defend calling people niggers and faggots all you want. You can say that when you wrote, "OMG, she just totally RAPED my facebook wall" was just a joke (try making that joke to a rape victim. I'm sure they'll find it hilarious). Or callously telling someone to go die a horrible death, 'jokingly'. If you're not going to be tactful for the sake of other people, at least be aware that you can at the very least be fired for the idiotic things you write online. I know people who have been fired for even less because of their lack of sense and etiquette online. People have been arrested for the things they write online. I mean come on, has no one learned anything from Mel Gibson? Who, on the eve of my being disgusted by reading someone's distasteful twitter status and comparing them to Mel Gibson, was exposed again for not watching his mouth and the dirty utterings that fall out of it.

You can read this and either agree, or call me oversensitive. This isn't meant to target any individual or comment on anyone's lifestyle. It's just the freaking internet. Truth be told, I don't really give a shit if you think rape is hilarious because it's 'surprise sex' or if someone gets called a homo because they were late to a concert. It's your life. If you want to behave like an imbecile, that's your prerogative. But if you insist on being a moron, be smart about it. I'm just looking out for you. You're welcome!

Sincerely,
Jan (or, that bitchy Jew).

P.S, a shout out to my sickly mono-ridden best friend Michey for reminding me that I have this thing to bitch on at my own risk :)

No comments:

Post a Comment